Jonas Salk Elementary is the only SDUSD school in Mira Mesa without a garden. A team of teachers, parents, and volunteer master gardners is fundraising to change that.
The school has 659 students, with approximately 40% of students qualifying for free and reduced lunch. Through building an organic School Garden, the importance of nutrition and healthy eating habits will be enphasized as students will grow their own food.
Amounts raised will be used to:
1) Build garden beds (size 3′ x 9′) from wood and fill with organic soil/free mushroom compost.
2) Make wheelchair accessible garden beds.
3) Purchase shed, wheel barrow, kids hand tools, watering cans, and gloves for kids.
4) Sink and connection of sink to new water line adjacent to building to wash and taste vegetables at the garden.
5) A watering drip system which will help sustain the garden through summer.
6) Install 115 linear feet of 3/4” galvanized pipe; connect to existing line in building wall, Northeast corner of garden.
7) Modifiy existing plumbing to have have 3 shorter hoses and reels for easer watering by students of all ages.
8) Build outdoor classroom area for instructions with shade sail with hardware, stumps for student seats and a table for demostrations.
9) Vericomposting and regular composting bins.
10) Small greenhouse for seedlings, seed starter kits and seeds.
11) Mulch and organic fertilizer.
12) 2 cubic yards of stabilized decomposed granite
Those involved with the project say the garden will provide students with life long experiences of how to grow food and the love of nature. They will learn about veri-composting using worms, aquaponics and sustainability. The garden will also be an outdoor classroom where science will be incorporated with hands on approach for all the students from seeds to harvesting. The produce harvested will be a part of the Farm to Cafe program to be available in the school salad bar at lunch time for students.
Donations to support the Jonas Salk Elementary School Garden can be made by going to their GoFund Me page, at https://www.gofundme.com/jonas-salk-elementary-school-garden